Sunday, January 16, 2011

Crap... I died. What will I be buried with?

It is hard to imagine how others see you. I recently listened to a sermon on the legacy one has and the pastor asked us, "What will they say at your funeral? What will be said about your life? How will you be remembered?" Crap, I've never thought about that before. I was raised to believe it did not matter what others thought. I find this sermon relates to the question posed by Erin. What identities will be portrayed within my burial?
If I died today and my parents were in charge of the goods to be placed within my grave, they would likely choose different items than my friends or even myself would pick.
Because my parents see myself as a student and an artist, they would likely bury me with paints, brushes, books and my Blackberry. I am rarely seen without it.
In contrast, my friends would likely bury me with a flask, a camera and my Blackberry.
Both of these scenarios depict different aspects of my life, but neither are indicators of who I am completely. It would be hard to fully describe my lifestyle and personality through material goods. If someone were to come across my grave, my identity would either be someone who is educated in arts, or someone who is a drunk and finds joy in photography.
When I was younger (and stranger) and learning of the process of mummification, I was determined to be buried with bright orange hair, insane "crazy cat lady" makeup, and to be preserved in an attack position (yes, I was a strange, strange child). I thought I would be such an entertaining and peculiar find for the archaeologists who would dig me up. Back then, I wanted my body to represent the insane and fun personality I had as a 12 year old. I did not think of material goods to also represent my life and placement in society, although, I'm glad to say I did not think much otherwise posters of NSYNC and my BSB CD's would be coming with me to the afterlife.
Now that I have matured (a bit), and  have reflected on this weeks blog assignment, I think I'll just take my Blackberry to heaven. Moses has to have BBM, right?


...just thinking, I should reconsider my relationship with the tech device. This sort of eternal dependancy isn't healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment