Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Diamonds are Forever (forever... forever... forever...)

Fact: I want to be made into a diamond. Why? I have a morbid sense of humour and an attraction to anything sparkly. I can picture my grandson on bended knee asking the love of his life to marry him. The girl (or guy) will remark how beautiful the ring is and my grandson will say, "it was my Grandmother". "Your Grandmother's? Oh what a wonderful heirloom!" his fiance will say. "No, my Grandmother. She was made into the diamond," my grandson will state.
What is so special about diamonds? Well, They are fantastically classic and if treated with care, will last forever. Inhumations are temporary. My body will decompose and after a couple of decades, someone new will take my place in the cemetery.  Cremations are a great space-saver, but I don't want to spiral through the wind and sting someone's eyes, especially if it is a saddened loved one. That's just mean-- an extra kick to the shins. I once wanted to be mummified (as stated in a previous post), but I just don't know how expensive that would be, or if my family would go for it.
Being made into a diamond has a romantic quality.  My family could gaze upon me, sparkling in the sun and fondly remember my sparkling personality (har har). Wouldn't that be fantastic?
After a bit of research, I found Life Gem. You can be compressed into one of four different colours of diamonds (one being the colourless), and can be made into different carats. The largest is a .59 carat gem for about $8000.  From what I can gather, most coffins go for that much and you only see it for a couple of hours at most. Why buy something highly decorative that you're just going to throw in the dirt? I think the diamond method is the most cost-effective (and attractive)... more bang for your buck!

2 comments:

  1. I agree!! and you could engrave on the band your name and the years you lived... that would force your family to remember you. But I mean... LONG term... like 1000 years from now, someone might have ripped the diamond out? melted the metal? In my blog, I mentioned that I would be buried with a ceramic tablet which gave my life story and blah blah blah... just because its indestructible and archaeologists could find me later. But I like the shininess of diamonds. And who would get the diamond once you had been turned into one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd heard of being turned into a diamond before, i think I learnt it by watching CSI (see who says you don't learn anything from watching TV!!). I guess the longevity of it has an attractive quality, although I think if my boyfriend proposed to me with a ring that was once his grandmother I might be a little creeped out to wear it and/or terrified of losing it!!!!

    ReplyDelete